RS232 bi-directional data logging ("sniffing")
The "sniffer" unit can be used to record the data of a RS232 interface used by two other devices. The sniffer is totally passive - the sniffer box contains wireing only. The Avisaro Data Logger is designed to connect directly to the Sniffer box. Both directions (Rx and Tx) are recorded as well as optional the hardware flow control lines.
All data is stored in a file as a table format - eaily read into Excel or any text editor. When used together with the Wi-Fi enabled Data Logger, a wireless access or streaming to the data is possible
Typical applications are:
- Debugging of RS232 communication
- Long term data logging of bi-directional stream
- Re-engineering of data protocols
- Wireless data stream
Options (depending on product):
By loading another script data can be marked with a leading timestamp. The loggers have built a battery-backed real-time clock. So each event is logged on the exact time. Documentation "Scripts": <more> ...
Memory cards with x GByte capacity are enough for months or years of data recording. Still - when the memory card is full, one way is to use a circular buffer system to keep on recording data. This gurantees that at least the most current information is stored on disk.
In detail: The data are stored in files by example 10 MB (configurable) stored. With a 4 Gbytes storage medium, this means that 399 files are created. First, the first file will be deleted to provide sufficient space for the 400'ste file. Thus, the ring buffer works 'blocks'.
For analysis, troubleshooting, or to re-Ingineering the return direction of a data stream needs to be recorded. For this application, a data logger with two RS232 interfaces is necessary. With the ready available script (MR5), the two data directions are recorded in a table. So the communication is transparent understandable.
To access the recorded data several ways to do this:
- Reading the memory card on a PC. The data is recorded to the PC FAT32 file system - ie Linux PC can be read directly on any Windows , Mac and Linux PC.
- For most products, there is a version with Wi-Fi module. So that the data can be accessed wirelessly , without the memory card must be removed . Access is via FTP - which is already available in all PCs (Explorer) . The data logger will look like a network drive.
- For some products , a LAN connection is available - you can also access the stored data.
- For some products, a GSM / GPRS module is available . In order to upload the data to an FTP server on the Internet , the logger after a predetermined time schedule or Ereigniss . The access from the outside to the logger is not possible in most cellular networks.
- The active uploading data to an FTP server on the Internet is also possible for both wired and wireless versions . Thus, e.g. a test vehicle when returning to the car park actively upload the data to the central computer.
The data loggers are developed by the Avisaro AG in the house and produced. Therefore, we can also make modifications, both to the hardware, as well as to the software.
Please contact us with your ideas. <more>